[MPlayer-dev-eng] af layer STILL broken

Anders Johansson ajh at watri.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 14 11:36:51 CET 2003

Hi,

> > > 1. codec init -> gives format1
> > > 2. libao2 init (try format1, overriden by -format, -channels) -> gives format2
> > > 3. libaf init to convert format1->format2
> >
> > IMO this is silly, it should be fixed to work like video filters.
>
> of course, i wrote it a few weeks ago, but it requires deep api changes
> in both libaf and libao2... imho not possible before 0.90

I have a sugestion of how libaf cold be made to work better without
too much work:

1. Audio decoder should be selected and initialized.

2. Init for libaf is run and all filters are setup and configured, but
   the out format is not compensated for, instead init returns the
   outpout format from the last fiilter.

3. AO driver is loaded and initialized with the output format from the
   last fillter in the audio filter chain.

4. If the AO driver doesn't support the format of the output from the
   last filter a new function in libaf is called which appends the
   necessary filters to make the whole thing work.

The above changes would sort things out and the changes arn't too big,
what do you think?

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

//Anders