[MPlayer-dev-eng] af layer STILL broken

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jan 14 08:57:44 CET 2003

Hi,

> And you're probably right that ao_oss is buggy here. But mplayer
> shouldn't even be requesting float from the ao layer if I specify -af
> format=2:signedintle, right??

actually libaf shouldn't request anything other than the given out format
from libao2, since libao2's config() is called BEFORE libaf config.

1. codec init -> gives format1
2. libao2 init (try format1, overriden by -format, -channels) -> gives format2
3. libaf init to convert format1->format2

so libaf MUST convert from format1 to format2, no matter what do you force.

so you may be right and ao_oss is buggy, if it doesn't refuse AFMT_FLOAT.
anyway you won't be able to override libao2 format by -af option, only by
-format (try -format 16)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team