[MPlayer-dev-eng]

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 11 21:01:54 CET 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 01:17:28PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > continue to play for about 2 seconds before changing, whereas the video changed
> > immediately. To be clear, during the 25 seconds of the 1st file, the video
>
> no wonder - have you ever heard/think of audio buffering? :)
> and it's not even in mplayer, it's done by the soundcard (hw or driver).
>
> the various sound API's (oss. alsa etc) have various functions to
> clear/reset/query buffers but they are poorly implemented by most drivers.

Perhaps it would be nice to make buffer size configurable when
supported by the underlying drivers. I know large buffers are a huge
pain on cygwin with oss emulation because the ioctl to flush buffers
blocks until the buffer is depleted making seeking VERY slow. Also
huge buffers lead to quick a/v desync when pausing and resuming many
times in succession. IMHO the optimal buffer size is 2*frametime.

Rich