[MPlayer-dev-eng] smooth playback vs good avsync

Frodo csharprules at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 13:10:40 CET 2003

ok here's a patch for linux/timer-lx.c
under cygwin it now uses high precision timers.
you need to define HAVE_NANOSLEEP in config.h, since its default disabled

However using these new timers doesn't result in any smoother playback
the frames rendered too late/ too fast still increase quite rapidly
for example i got a small divx5 avi file (total duration = 9 secs) with
audio 48KHz, 16bit,2 ch, 192kbit and video 25 fps 640x256
this file got 52 frames rendered too late and 58 frames rendered too early,
(no frame drops)
its just an example, all files show this behaviour. Again Windows media
player plays them ok

also I tried -vo null, but it makes no difference.
Then I tried using the -nosound option  and .... then it plays very smoothly

any idea where to look next?

Frodo