[MPlayer-dev-eng] DV AVI handling in mplayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jan 5 14:34:23 CET 2003

Hi,

> >no it is not codec problem.
> >it's a demuxer problme.
> >the 'type-1 dv' is actually not an avi file, just a raw dv stream
> >fragmented
> >and encapsulated into a psuedo-avi something, all with non-standard
> >chunks...  so it requires big changes in teh avi demuxer.
> I think it's still feasible, and pretty nice to have.
> If someone has format specs, I'd be glad to see some (mail to
> olonho at hotmail.com).

i've never seen it in AVI specs (it's yet another extension, just like
opendml and others) but looks like very trivial at first look.
there is 1 stream instead of 2 (audio+video), and that 1 stream
header contains somehow the headers for a + v too, and the data
packets are raw (muxed A+V) DV packets.
i just don't have time to investigate deeper.

> >it's on my todo since ages, but since it has so low priority i don't care.
> Does it mean, if someone (i.e. me) will create patch , it could be accepted
> into main tree of mplayer?

of course yes, if you do it well (no ugly hacks, globals whatever everywhere.
also read patches.txt)

you probably need to modify only demux_avi.c, and use clone_demux_packet()
to push the same packet to both (a+v) queues. see demux_rawdv.c...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team