[MPlayer-dev-eng] DV AVI handling in mplayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 4 12:25:52 CET 2003

Hi,

no it is not codec problem.
it's a demuxer problme.
the 'type-1 dv' is actually not an avi file, just a raw dv stream fragmented
and encapsulated into a psuedo-avi something, all with non-standard
chunks...  so it requires big changes in teh avi demuxer.

it's on my todo since ages, but since it has so low priority i don't care.

> >Am Freitag, 3. Januar 2003 11.19 schrieb Albina Veratrina:
> >
> >I'm not sure, but this looks like one of those "Type 1 DV AVI", that
> >dvgrab and kino generate. They are not supported by MPlayer (or, to my
> >knowledge, any software other than kino). Use "Type 2 DV AVI" instead.
> Well, you're correct, but how hard to implement support for those
> in MPlayer, for example using Win32 codec, if no reliable native codec
> exist?
> VirtualDub also doesn't support audio stream for this AVI, so I hoped
> that mencoder will help to encode it to divx.
> I could try to incorporate support from kino, of only someone suggested
> what really should be done in AVI file handler?
> IMHO, after AVI header is parsed and correct codec selected - video/audio
> playback and encoding is matter of technics- correct me if I'm wrong.
>

>   Nikolay.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team