[MPlayer-dev-eng] ccache

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 4 03:00:44 CET 2003

Hi,

Several developers complained for the slow process (2m20 even on my p4)
of the full rebuild.
I've heard about compiler caches before, but never tried it...
(i do at least 20-40 make distclean;make dep;make daily... nearly after each
commits and each patch applied and each big change)

Ok, i've read teh docs of ccache (http://ccache.samba.org), and it's very
cool. It creates a hash of:
 - commandline options to compiler
 - pre-processed (gcc -E) source file
 - compiler's (gcc's) size & modify date (for the case of compiler upgrades?)
 - stderr of the preprocessor (for warnings etc?)
and then store the compiled files coupled with the hash.

when you compile the same file again, with teh same compiler options, and no
changes in preprocessed output (ie. no changes in included files, #ifdefs)
then it won't compile again but copy the saved objectfile.

it pushed down compile time from 2m20 to 0m12 at the second rebuild.
and since usually only a few files change between rebuilds, it can help a
lot.

ok, enough of advertising, sorry i'm just amazed... :)
(how much time can be saved (just multiply 40*2m20) and used for development
:))

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team