[MPlayer-dev-eng] 2 pass encoding - need explanation

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Feb 23 02:20:04 CET 2003

Hi,

> > On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 04:23:55PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > BTW, you should try with vqscale=2 on the first pass and see if that
> > > works well, rather than vqscale=5. The latter will encode the whole
> > > first pass at very low quality so it probably won't estimate
> > > complexity well.
> >
> > What about the encoding speed? Someone told me that it is the
> > same for each quantizer (I doubt it). And what about quant=1? I
> lower quant will be slower, as more bits must be encoded

Hmm. What about an option to drop headers, vlc etc encoding for
1st pass? it's enough to do the MV search and quantization, as we
only want the statistics, don't need the actual bits.
Counting the required bits (sth like: total_bits+=vlc[n].length) is
far easier & faster than doing put_bits()... but it may mean many if()'s
so it's maybe not as good idea as i thought 5 mins ago :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino