[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Fri Feb 21 01:45:44 CET 2003

>--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:37:20PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> > >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> > > As a lot of people stated in this thread, there is no case where you
> > > might need polish manpages, if you don't speak polish.
> > Well, only you stated _that_ - it's wrong: pretty much any time you compile
> > it for not only your own personal when you can't guerantee that no Polish
> > etc. person might need that.
> Please see below.

... except there's nothing to back your position.

> > Please name me one program with included man pages that doesn't install all
> > of them by default, but offers a configure option to install some/all of
> > them.
> Every program that supports --enable-nls/--disable-nls.  And according to
> _you_ (not me) every program that supports $LINGUAS.

Wrong again. I was talking about translation in that respect, and every such
program will install all of them by default.

Look, your problem is that you're talking about the empty set and try to
derive properties of its members.

> > Good idea. Your explaination of how these ways of giving configure options
> > fundamentally differ is still missing. [...]
> [blabla]

Yes. And? You have a problem setting an environment variable, but no problem
seting an option, even if it's basically the same? Your exxplanation just
shows that it's good that LINGUAS is an environment variable describing your
system environment. If you don't want any man pages, set it to the proper
value. Which happens to be "", not unset.

> > I didn't say someone who requests nothing should get everything. I said
> > someone who doesn't make a request should get everything, because that's the
> > standard way for good reasons.
> Huh?  Whose standard way?  Where?

Read the postings. I'm not repeating it over for you.

> > Y'know, the "I'm not listening" trick doesn't work neither on me nor on
> > public mailing lists in general. The "I don't read your arguments at all"
> > trick neither.
> For you it's obviously working pretty well.  Please read the following
> statements, that you haven't read at all.  They sum it up pretty well,
> and much better I ever could do.

I read them all and repsonded to them directly or indirectly. It's up to you
to read my answers. And, in fact, those are mostly unbacked opinions, not
facts or arguments. Try again.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.