[mplayer-dev-eng] fixing installation of localized manpages

Andreas Hess jaska at gmx.net
Thu Feb 20 16:46:31 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:23:44PM +0100, Dan Christiansen wrote:
> I believe your making the same mistake as Gabucino; you're assuming
> that you know better than the users what they want.
>
> I have a suggestion for you:
> a) if no language is given or detected assume English (this is what you
> do now, isn't it?)

Yes, it is.

> b) change the syntax of --language slightly so that --language="pl cz"
> hard codes Polish into MPlayer and installs Polish, Czech and English
> man pages.

At the moment --language="pl cz" hard codes polish into mplayer and
installs just the polish and czech man pages.  Should we really assume,
that the user always wants the english manpage, or leave maximum
control to the user?

> Handling all languages is done by detecting "all" as yet
> another language which then enables every supported language, making
> --language="pl all" valid.

If that's what the community wants, I will happily include it :-)