[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Wed Feb 19 17:08:27 CET 2003

>--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:19:57PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> > The majority of the people is always silent. Installing man pages of
> > neglectible size won't harm anyone.
> Don't installing them either.

Yes, it will: they will be missing in case you need them.

> And once again the question is, why is it the proper way, if just mplayer
> has this behaviour and no other program.

a) other programs are system programs with seperately maintained man pages -
   many program authors don't bother about man pages at all.
b) Every gettext using program behaves that way with respect to
   translations.

If those aren't enough, then I simply don't know.

> > > And I definitely wouldn't be happy, if every program forces me to set
> > > unneeded environment variables.
> > It's part of the configuration... tell configure what you want.
> I would be happy, if I could, but I can't, because usually there are
> options and not bogus environment variables.

Proper ./configure scripts accept variable assignments on the command line.
Please tell me the principal difference between

./configure --without-jpeg

and

./configure LINGUAS=""
(which doesn't work because someone thought reinventing the wheel poorly is
a good idea)

and

LINGUAS="" ./configure ?

> > > 2) I see no point in respecting the will of some translation freaks, who
> > >    can't live with less than 20 translated manpages, over the will of the
> > >    simple user, who is happy with just one manpage.
> > I'm not a translation freak by any means. Ridiculing translated man pages
> > doesn't really increase your credibility.
> Please point me to where I'm ridiculing translated manpages?

The paragraph I just quoted.

> > > 3) No, it isn't default to want all translations. _That_ sucks.
> > It is default to install those translations that are requested, and if none
> > is requested, then all of them.

> Before you continue to babble like this, please point me to the programs
> that assume, that a user wants all manpages, if he requests no translations.

I'm explaining you the standard behaviour, I'm not babbling. You accused me
of name-calling, then why don't you behave any better?

Also, I never said that it should install all manpages for those requesting
the opposite, stop inventing nonsense.

> > If you don't want to tell your configure
> > that you want only one, then don't bitch.
> No other program has ever forced me to do it, but I would be happy, if
> it's just possible via a configure option, and not with bogus environment
> variables.

See above, and explain me the difference between a (using your style:)
environment variable and a bogus configure option.

> > >    just because there could be the possibility, that there is someday a
> > >    user who wants to learn azerbaijanian via manpages.
> > Nobody's talking about learning from man pages. It's about having them available
> > when you might need them.
> Ah, now I understand, you're one of these users who has everything installed,
> 20 different editors, 20 different MTAs, 20 different versions of fortune, just
> because someone someday could need them.

Wie kommst Du eigentlich auf dieses schmale Brett? You're just again putting
words or opinions in my mouth that I never said.

> > It's not the only program. Every program using gettext and autoconf for
> > configuration works this way, except for the translations and not the man
> > pages.
> Huh? I definitely have gettext based programs, but I have no unneeded
> manpages.

Please visit your optician. I said "except for the translations and not the
manpages". That seems too hard for you.

> > > forces me to set a bogus environment variable to nothing?
> > Again, it doesn't force you to anything. If you want something special, you
> > have to do work for it.
> I want nothing, this is special? For me it would be special to have
> everything.

Yes, this is special. Everyone wants the man page in his language. Since
that is something different for everyone, the default can only be to install
all of them. And no, abusing the current locale is bad as well if you
package the stuff (e.g.).

> > Hey, your mplayer Just SUCKS, it's installing support for JPEG images. I
> > don't WANT support for that, It's increasing the BINARY size by 1k!!!!!!!
> Ever heard of --disable-jpeg?

Ever heard of LINGUAS=""?

> I knew it from the beginning, that you have some problems. Please
> keep cool. Ever thought about consulting a doc?

If you don't see yourself in the mirror - well...

> > If you don't understand: if the man pages get installed and you don't like
> > them, you can just remove them or configure it right the next time.
> Once again, I would be happy, if it would be possible.

It is.

> A bogus environment variable is definitely not the right solution.

Why do you have a problem with your dictionary - inserting "bogus" for
everything you don't like?

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.