[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Andreas Hess jaska at gmx.net
Tue Feb 18 22:10:59 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:19:57PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> The majority of the people is always silent. Installing man pages of
> neglectible size won't harm anyone.

Don't installing them either.

> There are just a few morons like you

Aren't any arguments left on your side, so you've to show the superiority
of your opinion by name calling.

> who
> make a fuss about it because they can't be bothered to configure it
> properly.

I'm not making a fuss about it, I've already stated, that I have no
problem with patching mplayer locally. And once again the question is,
why is it the proper way, if just mplayer has this behaviour and no
other program.

> > But once again why? Other programs don't force me
>
> Bobody forces you. Stop bitching about a few kB, and everything is fine.

Whoever bobody is, I won't listen to him, if he forces me.

> > And I definitely wouldn't be happy, if every program forces me to set
> > unneeded environment variables.
>
> It's part of the configuration... tell configure what you want.

I would be happy, if I could, but I can't, because usually there are
options and not bogus environment variables.

> > 1) IMHO most mplayer users need just one manpage and don't want to have
> >    as much translation as possible.
>
> Most. If you have a multi-user system, you'll alienate those that don't.
> Your assertion can only be true for those that compile it on their home box.

Huh? Since when localization is a precondition for multi-user systems?

> > 2) I see no point in respecting the will of some translation freaks, who
> >    can't live with less than 20 translated manpages, over the will of the
> >    simple user, who is happy with just one manpage.
>
> I'm not a translation freak by any means. Ridiculing translated man pages
> doesn't really increase your credibility.

Please point me to where I'm ridiculing translated manpages? I have no
problem when users want one proper localized manpage. I also have no
problem with users who want a dozen translated manpages, but just
because of some translation freaks, this shouldn't be forced to
everyone.

> > 3) No, it isn't default to want all translations. _That_ sucks.
>
> It is default to install those translations that are requested, and if none
> is requested, then all of them.

Before you continue to babble like this, please point me to the programs
that assume, that a user wants all manpages, if he requests no translations.
I have non of them on my system for sure.

> If you don't want to tell your configure
> that you want only one, then don't bitch.

No other program has ever forced me to do it, but I would be happy, if
it's just possible via a configure option, and not with bogus environment
variables.

> > 4) I work on a lot of multi-user systems
>
> Somehow I have doubts...

Feel free to have whatever you want.

> >    and none of these systems has localization or defaults to having all
> >    translated packages installed,
>
> Well your users seem to be extremely homogenic.
>
> >    just because there could be the possibility, that there is someday a
> >    user who wants to learn azerbaijanian via manpages.
>
> Nobody's talking about learning from man pages. It's about having them available
> when you might need them.

Ah, now I understand, you're one of these users who has everything installed,
20 different editors, 20 different MTAs, 20 different versions of fortune, just
because someone someday could need them.

> > > This is the standard way, the way to go. If you don't like that, set your
> > > LINUGAS to empty, and you'll be fine. Or remove those installed directories.
> > Once again, if that's the way to go, why is mplayer the only program that
>
> It's not the only program. Every program using gettext and autoconf for
> configuration works this way, except for the translations and not the man
> pages.

Huh? I definitely have gettext based programs, but I have no unneeded
manpages.

> > forces me to set a bogus environment variable to nothing?
>
> Again, it doesn't force you to anything. If you want something special, you
> have to do work for it.

I want nothing, this is special? For me it would be special to have
everything.

> Hey, your mplayer Just SUCKS, it's installing support for JPEG images. I
> don't WANT support for that, It's increasing the BINARY size by 1k!!!!!!!

Ever heard of --disable-jpeg?

> It's eating up AAAAAAAAAAAAALLL my hard disc SPACE!! *SCREEEAAAAAAMMMMMM*
> Why do you make it have support for JPEG images for those 2 users actually
> using it? Why do you FORCE me to set a FREAKIN' configure flag just to
> disable stupid JPGE support? NO OTHER PROGRAM is doing that!! Why do YOU
> have to do THIS to me?? You're SOOOOOO mean!!!

I knew it from the beginning, that you have some problems. Please
keep cool. Ever thought about consulting a doc?

> If you don't understand: if the man pages get installed and you don't like
> them, you can just remove them or configure it right the next time.

Once again, I would be happy, if it would be possible. A bogus environment
variable is definitely not the right solution.

[...]

P.S.: If you want to continue insulting me, be my guest, but please do
      it in private mail.