[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Tue Feb 18 10:10:26 CET 2003

>--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:15:42AM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> > It creates the following:
> > /usr/share/man/man1/mplayer.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/de/man1/mplayer.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/fr/man1/mplayer.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/hu/man1/mplayer.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/pl/man1/mplayer.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/de/man1/mencoder.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/fr/man1/mencoder.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/hu/man1/mencoder.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/pl/man1/mencoder.1.gz
> > /usr/share/man/man1/gmplayer.1.gz
> Oh please, this sucks, I have no de fr hu etc. subdirs and I'm definitely
> not interested in mplayer creating them. And I think most of the users feel
> the same.

No, they don't. If you don't want translated stuff, just set that
environment variable once, and you'll be fine. No need to patch mplayer.
However, if you do want as much translation as possible, you need to change
your options each time a new language is added. _That_ sucks, because the
default is to want all translations - either because you're on a multi-user
system (then you never know who else will have an account in the future,
speaking just another different language), or you're packaging it, then you
just can't make an mplayer-LL package for all possible LLs.

This is the standard way, the way to go. If you don't like that, set your
LINUGAS to empty, and you'll be fine. Or remove those installed directories.

> > This is the GNUish way AFAIK, though you may argue about whether it's "optimal"
> > or not. I think it's good.
> What is GNUish about that? Not a single GNU tool has ever created these
> subdirs on my system.

The reason that a lot of the core system utilities don't create them is
because a great deal of these man pages are handled in seperate translation
projects. For packagers this has also the advantage that you have
manpages-LL packets for each LL, so you can have them seperate. But, ala,
mplayer is not a core system utility by any stretch. If you want to have a
look for other programs doing it, look at xine. It will just install all of
them. So if you use LINGUAS, you'll even be better than xine, and you all
want that, don't you?

And, btw, this is unrelated to Debian.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.