[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer ContainerFormat)

michael c mrcole20 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:44:52 CET 2003

Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>Then let it be KOR or other three-letter abbreviaton of one of the best
>series. ;)  Anyway I agree, last part of name have to associate with
>some well-known word so anyone can say - It's a video file!

Hmm, well, what words are there?

.vis / .vsn (vision)
.vid / .vdo (video)
.med / .mda / .medi (media)
.tap / .tpe / .tape (as in video tape)
.cli / .clp / .clip
.pla / .ply / .play
.ent / .ntr / .ntt (entertain(ment))
.dig / .digi (digital (media))
.vcr
.rec (recording)
.mov / .mvi / .mve (movie)
.cam (camera)
.scr / .scn (screen)
.tra / .trk (track)
.str / .stm (stream)
.mot / .mtn (motion)
.cin / .cnm (cinema)
.flm / .film
.mp / .mop (motion picture, also mplayer (at least .mp) ;-))
.the / .tha (theatre)
.fli / .flk / .flx (flick)
.cel / .cll (cellulose)
.fea / .ftr / .feat (feature)
.dir / .dct / .dtr (director)
.pro / .prj / .proj (projector)
.str / .stp (strip)
.cur / .ctn (curtain... ok, maybe thats a little far-fetched :-P)
.sho / .sht (shoot/shot)
.cut
.tv / .tel / .tlv (television)
.act / .atr (actor)
.act / .atn (action)
.ani / .anim (animated/-ion)
.wrp (wrapping, or warp?)
.8mm (hehe)
.sho / .shw / .show
.vie / .viw / .vu / .view
.see
.gaz / .gze / .gaze
.sta / .str (star or stare)
.look
.exh / .xhb (exhibit)
.sco / .scp / .spe (scope)
.eye
.sig / .sht (sight)
.sha / .shp (shape or sharp)
.gli / .gps (glimpse)
.fce / .face
.ret / .rtn (retina)
.gog / .ggl (goggle)
.len / .lse (lense)

ok, too lazy to think of more right now ;-) maybe someone else can continue
this. some of these are obviously taken already though.
what would be nice is if you replace some letters with others that sound
alike so the name looks cooler (as in xine or so, dont flame me!) examples
are .xin, .axn (action), .trx (tracks) and so on.

two-letter acronyms are nice too, actually. at least imho. people easily
turn dv into digital video or something. maybe dm (digital media) is still
free.

mike