[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: lavc-Options for *BEST*

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Mon Feb 10 16:41:08 CET 2003

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 09:53:33 +0100
Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:

> I've noticed during all the threads on your container that the first
> critic about matroska is that the core library is coded in C++. While I
> understand some people prefer their own languages for various reasons (C
> and C++ are very compatible AFAIK), I don't think that's what should be
> considered first about a container.

The biggest problem with c++ is neither speed nor that it is too highlevel
but the incompatibility in itself. MPlayer had once C++ code but it was rewritten
in C because of the compile problems it caused on different platforms and with
different compiler. Now the only C++ file left is the DShow interface (iirc).

For those who think that C++ has to be slow because it's slow just dont
know C++ well enough. I wrote quite a bit of C++ code and analyzed what
it did (ie disassembled it). Unless you use some bloated features like
STL you get a pretty fast solution, you just need to know how to code
(but that applies also to C).

			Attila Kinali

--
Emacs ist für mich kein Editor. Für mich ist das genau das gleiche, als wenn
ich nach einem Fahrrad (für die Sonntagbrötchen) frage und einen pangalaktischen