[MPlayer-dev-eng] NFS client optimised for Video!

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Mon Feb 10 15:09:17 CET 2003

On 03.02.10 Gábor Lénárt pressed the following keys:

> Besides these, at our company, I'm using several servers mounted on NFS
> (via 100mbit LAN, but several routers and switches between them) to play
> movies from, and I almost can't realize any delay you've written about.

I second that.

At home I've got

1. fileserver built from
  - the ancient Winchip C6 at 200
  - 128MB RAM
  - really cheap UDMA 100 controler by CMD with Samsung 40+80 disks
    (joined by LVM);
  - really, really cheap rtl8139C 100mbit card (like $7 a piece);
2. my Athlon XP 1700+ workstation with this same crappy NIC on which
/home is mounted by NFS from fileserwer.
3. my wife's Athlon 900 workstation with this same NIC and \home
and \games over SMB from fserver.
4. very, very crappy and cheap 8port 10/100 switch by Surecom ($50)

And I have no problem with playing NFS exported DivX movies (1) at the
same time on both workstations (2 & 3), while burning CD on my
workstation(2) from NFS /home (1).

Instead of writing new filesystem I would concentrate on tuning this
network and/or replacing hub with switch etc.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35