[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: lavc-Options for *BEST*

Balatoni Denes pnis at coder.hu
Sun Feb 9 11:07:54 CET 2003

Hi!

btw for example OPIE/Qtopia - the gui that works on most linux
based PDAs - is written in c++. Maybe it would be more efficient if it
was in c, but I guess we will never find that out. And afaict what is being
done in mplayer / xine to "emulate" objects is reimplementing stuff that the
c++ compiler does automatically and thus less prone to error (ideally). Maybe
this c reimplementation is much more efficient, although I don't see why/how,
feel free to enlighten me on this :)
What I am talking about now is the priv pointers in mplayer (+ dispose
functions, etc. in xine) in case you were wondering.

> That's the reason why many reasource critical applications' authors
> chose to use the lowest level language possible. It means C plus
> occasional ASM. It would be all the way ASM if the portability wasn't
> the issue.

bye
Denes

ps: of course one should always stick to asm, but that is kind of
impossible/slow to develop that way imho.