[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: container format

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sat Feb 8 21:49:59 CET 2003

"Moritz Bunkus" <moritz at bunkus.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:20030205165731.GS7414 at bunkus.org...
> I'd really like to see a new container format soon. So far I've told
> the Matroska people that I'd write Linux tools and MPlayer support for
> it,

So this is not valid anymore ? Please Moritz, inform me if you are not
interested in the job anymore , so i can search for somebody else making
Linux support for matroska.

> but unfortunately the very early code they have right now will be a
> pain in the a** to implement in MPlayer (without writing C++, but
> that's only one of the problems).

We are making a C API only for the mplayer/mencoder guys, as it seems the
complete rest of the world prefers C++, for whatever reason. As we are in
the middle of writing up things please contact us if you had any wishes in
this respect.

> If you put together some specs then I'll happily write ncfdbmptools
> (new container format developped by mplayer people ;)). I have
> experience with my ogmtools, and would love to continue working on
> container formats (somehow I like that. I lack most basic knowledge
> about video issues and compression issues, so container formats and
> (de)multiplexers are something I might be good at ;)).> Consider me 'on
board' if you're seriously planning on developping such
> a format.

You might want to disagree here, but if you expect your own Linux users to
use this format at all you should make a few suggestions about support on
Windows first. I am ready to get flamed, now, no problem, just keep it
coming. It wont change the facts. Not at all.

Christian