[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Feb 8 19:55:40 CET 2003

Hi

On Saturday 08 February 2003 19:41, Christof Buergi wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2003 19.30 schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
> > hmmmm, i think u missunderstand the checksum slghtly, the idea is
> > that u download a file somehow from somewhere ;) after or during the
> > download  u notice that its damaged (by checking the checksum, or
> > seeing the image break into ugly blocks, ...) after that u redownload
> > the damage parts from somewhere else, all that could be automatic or
> > manual, but it only works if we can check the file, yes decoding
> > everything to detect errors is possible to but its slower and more
> > complex
>
> I get shivers when I try to imagine having to code this. But yes, the
> idea is nice. ;-)
>
> Still, there are situations where CRC-checks make no sense at all. In
> those situations, the person doing the encoding might get the idea to
> shut down checksums and get those extra bits to encrease bandwith. The
> downside of making checksums optional, however, is the possibility of
> badly coded files increasing, thus lowering the reputation of the
> container. It also slightly increases complexity.
yes, IMHO the checksums should either be required or removed, optional is very
bad, cuz many ppl will turn them off, just becouse they think its much faster
or smallr then (im reallity its +0.005% size or so perhaps)

[...]
> > > Second point are some small suggestions about indeces. I think, we
> > > should place the index at the end of the file. Having it at the
> > > beginning would be nice for playback, but it would be a nightmare
> > > to correctly mux this.
> >
> > IMHO, we could allow both, and even allow the index to be repeated
>
> But Indeces are not that important in this container format, are they?
> Still, it may indeed be a good idea to let the muxer decide, where (if
> at all) he wants to place the index.
currently the index at the end is required for normal files (realtime streams
are an exception) but the index can be repeated if the muxer wants to repeat
it, this IMHO doesnt add any complexity to either the muxer or demuxer but
its more flexible for thouse crazy ppl who want a few copies of the index
[...]

Michael