[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer ContainerFormat)

michael c mrcole20 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:50:38 CET 2003

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>didnt i say that? u said the universal packet would be better because
>we dont have to change the docs for a new fourcc, but for the uses u
>suggested (menu, chapters ...) it must be documented or noone can use
>it

hmm. i said (or at least meant) that the work to document it would be
basically the same, no matter which way you use, so you could as well pick
one that's more flexible.
i was under the impression, that using fourccs (or some sort of format
description like it) might add another tidbit of flexibility to the format.
maybe someone wants to put the dvd cover into the file or some other
(binary) data. while some might find this specific example silly, the
infrastructure might be useful (in the future). i guess that was my whole
point. correct me though, if i'm completely wrong.

>i dont understand why u insist on demuxers to be unable to skip unknown
>packets, this is just plain stupid, the demuxer just compares the known
>startcodes with the current packet start and if none matches & it doesnt
>start with a 0 bit then its an unknown packet and it will skip
>to the next by following the forward pointer, if the forward pointer is
>damaged it will search for the next matching 2 pairs of matching
>pointers or a known startcode ...

Okay, i guess part of my comments were a bit silly ;-) of course you can
still skip unknown packets. the startcodes probably are sufficient to use
for most purposes and additional features. except for other binary
attachments... maybe an alternative would be to create
binary-attachment-packets if this is really needed in the future.

by the way, did anybody think about how/whether to make multi-angle videos
possible in this format? or did i not see it again? does anybody even find
this useful? would it be overkill to implement? just thinking about
flexibility again, i suppose :-)

mike