[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer ContainerFormat)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Feb 7 13:53:17 CET 2003

Hi

On Friday 07 February 2003 13:34, michael c wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >hmm, a stream has frames / keyframes / timestamps / ... this is not
> >
> > >correct for chapter or index stuff
>
> Hmm, okay... I guess I didn't really mean "stream", that was probably
> confusing. What I meant was some kind of "blocks with information/data".
>
> I honestly don't think it's a mess, or complicated at all, because there is
> nothing much to it, really. It adds extensibility and flexibility at a very
> low price.
> You give additional features (menus, chapters, etc... whatever you like,
> really) a starting point, without actually having to bother if you don't
> want them or don't need them! It's not mandatory to use them, because they
> would be so easy to skip.
> Like Fabien said: Don't close the door on them prematurely, especially if
> they're so easy to ignore as they would be in this case.
yes, we can allways add more packet types, stream types, or even fields to
most existing headers, without breaking existing demuxers, that should be
enough for most advanced features, there are allso info packets which contain
information (author, title, ...) about specific parts of the file, these
should be fine for chapters

if we ever support menus then IMHO, we should only store the logical
information in the file like various alternative scenes, but not some menu
image + script ...

[...]

Michael