[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer ContainerFormat)

michael c mrcole20 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 13:04:36 CET 2003

Hi,

I think the name should be something really simple and somehow meaningful.
Like SMO (simple media object) or UMS (universal media stream) or something
similar (these probably aren't too good, they're just examples). It sounds
more "serious" like this, I'd say :-)

By the way, how well does the format handle files larger than 4GB right now?
I think for the file format to be really universal, there should not be any
kind of limitation like this.
If >4GB is not supported yet, I guess you could achieve them by either
creating <=4GB blocks in the file, and all 32bit positions in this block are
relative to its beginning... or you could use 64bit integers for the
positions (absolute pointers aren't used much anyways, are they?)
For the index - using my previous proposal to put them into streams - i
guess you could have two different types ("IX32" and "IX64"?) in this case,
depending on whether the file is <= or > 4GB (using 32bit or 64bit numbers).

mike