[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 6 19:59:17 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:06:01PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > 2) Why does sz always have to be at least 1 character long - why cant it
> > just be a null?
> mpeg startcode emulation (if we allow 0 then there could be 0,0,1 which is a
> startcode prefix in mpeg) perhaps we should drop the startcode emu thing,
> dunno

What's the purpose of mpeg startcode emulation? Does this somehow
allow a raw mpeg audio or video decoder to play our files without any
particular demuxing? If so, this sounds like a worthwhile benefit --
mp3 inside mpcf would be playable by most legacy players, plus it
would be seekable by mpcf-aware players. But perhaps I
misunderstand...

Rich