[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: lavc-Options for *BEST*

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 5 17:44:46 CET 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:44:59AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Yes, see above. Overall, excellent! I'd like to see what Arpi has to
> > > say.
> >
> > i think the only problem is that it's nonsense.
> > why?
> > these formats are coming from the windows world.
> > just look at teh codecs: are they using libavcodec to encode dvdrips?
> > no. they're using crappy divx4 and nowdays sometimes buggy xvid...
> > why? because they are available under windows...
>
> > (unfortunatelly the ffvfw project has died or sth)
> seems so :(
>

> > so unless you code a dshow filter and support to nandub/vdub for this
> > fileformat it won't spread and being used.
> i know :(
>
> but perhaps we could cooperate with the ogg ppl to improve ogg, an official
> ogg2 should spread much better then an unknown container format

First of all, I don't really care about it spreading and being used by
release group kids; I just want a nice clean seekable format with
subtitles and vorbis audio for my dvdrips. If it becomes mainstream,
that would be cool, but that's not the primary goal in my mind.

On the other hand, I think it's quite realistic to expect that a good
many windows users will be using mplayer/mencoder within the next
year, so that might help it catch on!

As for cooperation with the ogg people, it'd be nice, but I don't know
how realistic this is. All the failed container formats are the result
of big project/comittee nonsense trying to make an overly 'flexible'
and 'featureful' standard. MPlayer gets stuff done by writing the code
and making it work, not by wasting away planning for month after
month. I think the biggest advantage we'd have in getting this format
adopted is speed. If it's super-efficient, well-designed, and has a
working implementation while the MCF and Matroska people are still
trying to figure out how to put stupid bytecode menus and crap in
their files, people will use our format, and then when this new stuff
is finally implemented, people will say "WTF? It uses a lot more space
than [insert the name of our format here] and seeking doesn't work
right and ...! I'm not switching to this crap!" and they'll stick with
our format.

BTW, is ffdshow still being developed? If so, the author would
probably be able to write a dshow filter for us so windows users could
play our files. On the other hand, the windows users could just dl
mplayer... :))))))))

Rich