[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] improved searching for subtitles

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Mon Feb 3 11:10:10 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>IMO this patch is dumb. Consider the case where you have a directory
>with hundreds or thousands of files in it on slow media. Reading
>through the whole thing to find a matching filename could be a major
>pain.

Having a directory with thousands of filenames, (at least) I usually
have to retrieve a directory listing first to find out what file to play
at all so it's very likely that the filenames will be already in the
cache anyway.

>A much nicer fix would be to rename the subtitle files not to
>have extra junk in their names.

No doubt about it. But I still find this patch useful.

--
Jindrich Makovicka