[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Common Opensource codec API

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Dec 29 11:28:32 CET 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:37:52 +0100
Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:

> Hmm, perhaps we could think about project funding in more general ways.
> Some of my customers already asked my for doing quite a lot of work on
> OSS-projects, but at the end it was too expensive for only one customer.

Nice, ask them to look on the site of the projects for donation
requests, most projects have some whishes.

> So such an 'open' funding for opensource projects could be interesting:
> Many people may offer donation for a specific job. And if there's enough
> money in the pot, someone will do the job and getting the money.
> We also have some experiences with this in some medical forums.

You are not the first one proposing such a system, there were
already 2 big ones about 2 year ago trying something like this.
They both failed, because they ignored how OSS development
works: Just for fun.
Hardly anyone will pick up one of those "jobs" as they are
not fun enough. And those which are fun are done anyways.

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu