[xine-devel] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [matroska-devel] Re: Common Opensource codec API

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Dec 28 21:45:01 CET 2003

* D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> [2003-12-28 14:36:01 -0500]:

<snip>
> This is ALREADY BEING DONE! The lib is called libavcodec. Why don't
> you go LEARN about it rather than trolling the list?

Well, I agree, but if some folks say, that an common API does not work,
they should tell us, why and where exactly.

<snip>
> > No, thats wrong. These libs are each one specialized for some individual
> > task (i.e. decoding mpeg2 or ogg) and so of course provide a interface
> > specially for this task. It should be an easy job to write some small
> > wrappers to plug them into our mm framework. Evryone who really needs
> > special stuff which is not covered by the mm api, can still use the lib
> > directly, but all those folks, who only want to put in one stream and
> > get out another stream (this is what a codec does) and do not want to
> > cope with each lib's specialities, just use our mm framework.
> > And also no modifications are necessary in the libs, as we just put
> > wrappers around them (just as mplayer+friends now do)
>
> Then you can write this wrapper (aka mm framework) and use it for your
> projects.
Yes.

> But MPlayer devs have no desire to use it. We hate wrappers.
> So don't involve us in this project. Take it somewhere else.
Are you sure, you can talk for all ?

<snip>
> mp3lib (mpg123) sucks! Properly written codecs are not like this. It
> doesn't take any "common api" nonsense, just competent programming.

Yes, of course. Its the same reason, why we dont need thinkgs like
garbage collection or fully automated build systems, because we expect
all people to be good pogrammers and those who aren't should go away.

Don't you think, you're a little bit too arrogant ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481