[MPlayer-dev-eng] deterministic builds

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Dec 23 19:59:06 CET 2003

* Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> [2003-12-23 19:45:32 +0100]:

> > What kind of package manager you're talking about ? If you think about
> > rpm oder apt - they're available at this stage - evryting they can is
> > installing and tracking files and checking dependency information
> > (which must be supplied by the developer)
>
> Not true. RPM autodetects dependencies. Only build-time dependencies
> must be supplied manually.

Aren't we talking about _BUILDING_ ?
Once we've build the package, its quite easy. But 'til this point its a
quite long way.

At some point, someone must tell rpm what dependencies to put into the package.
It cant find them out by itself.

I want to move all this into a single point: the project description.

> > > But for mplayer, I don't see why you don't just --disable the libs you
> > > definitely don't want linked...
> > It comes from the wrong side. I want to enable what i _want_.
> > The build system may tell me, whats available, if I ask it.
>
> >From the point of view of package managers, yes. But from the point
> of user compiling the software from source, this is perfect.
No, I dont think so. It works just for those ones who install one package after
another and dont ever think about removing or upgrading old stuff.

Why should evryone have to do evrything by hand (from fetching the tarball to
building and installing) if it could be done with one single command ?

(ie. package-install mplayer --auto ... package-upgrade mplayer --auto ... )

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481