[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re:

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Fri Dec 12 10:50:34 CET 2003

    Hi, Arpi!

Sometime (on Sunday, February 16 at 14:31) I've received something...

>> after using mencoder for awhile I came across movies with (real)
>> 29.97 fps which were created from a 24 fps source by inserting a
>> duplicate frame after every 4th frame. When (re)encoding these movies it
>> would be clever to drop these duplicated frames to save bandwidth and to
>> eliminate the jerky motion artefacts.

>> But to only use the option '-ofps 23.976' is not satisfactory because
>> mencoder bluntly drops every 5th frame regardless of being duplicates
>> or not; or missed I something?

>isn't -vop dint the same? afair it was written for the same purpose.

    Nope. -vop dint doesn't drop frames by any count and cannot detect
duplicate frames - it drops frame only if the frame is interlaced more
than some threshold value. It has nothing to do with frame count nor with
duplicates.

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.