[MPlayer-dev-eng] Absolute Time in DVD

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Aug 29 16:26:22 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 06:36:27PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:09:01 -0700
> Michael Halcrow <mhalcrow at cs.byu.edu> wrote:
>
> > sh_video->pts resets at the start of every chapter.  This kind of
> > breaks EDL with DVD's.  Some ways around this can include:
> >
> >  - Make EDL records store both chapter and chapter offset values
> >  - Find (or make) an absolute timer in mplayer (one that counts time
> >    from the start of the first chapter of the DVD rather than from the
> >    start of each individual chapter); I'll have to look for one this
> >    weekend, unless one of you kind souls will point one out to me :-)
> >  - Record EDL timestamps based on frame number rather than pts
> >
> > Oh, and there's this:
> >
> > timestamp = 90000*(sh_video->timer + d_dvdsub->pts + sub_delay -
> > sh_video->pts);
> >
> > Recommendations?
>
> Any comments on this ?

I believe the maintainers had a discussion about this on IRC not too
long ago.  I would personally vote for a mechanism in MPlayer that
makes it convenient to find the current absolute time (from the very
start), rather than just the chapter-offset time.  That would allow
for EDL files to apply to both the original DVD stream as well as any
encoding of that stream (which may lose the chapter information; I
understand that OGM can be ``chapter-aware'' though.  See man
ogmsplit.  Yeah, I know some people here hate OGM :-).

Mike

--
Michael Halcrow                             | mike at halcrow.us
Developer, IBM Linux Technology Center      |

What's another word for synonym?            |
GnuPG Keyprint:  05B5 08A8 713A 64C1 D35D  2371 2D3C FDDA 3EB6 601D