[MPlayer-dev-eng] Spellchecking

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Aug 14 19:19:46 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:39:46PM +0200, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> I want to make some policies for spellchecking, and for that I want to
> know others oppinion too.
>
> 1, spellcheck user visible messages only
> 2, comments does not worth correcting
> 3, variable/function/structure names should be changed carefully, send
> first patches
>
> Also it would be imho better to collect all the spellcheck changes
> (separated as the 3 types above), and make huge patches. After that it
> could be approved only once, and the cvslog won't be polluted with
> spellcheck fixes again and again. Probably we could organise this
> separately from the bug-hunting party or we could merge them too.

I completely agree with 3, but I beg to differ on 1 and 2.

I think we all agree that it makes sense to spellcheck user visible
messages.  But I only partially agree about comments.  I have found some
very confusing comments, correcting those surely does not hurt.  Most of the
comments I corrected were in files where I had modified some visible
messages anyway, so there was no additional traffic.

However, spelling should not be checked piecemeal, but one file top to
bottom if it is checked, this should reduce traffic a lot.

Diego