[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer <-> PS2

Nicholas Charles Fellows nick at polyprecords.com
Sun Aug 10 15:22:15 CEST 2003

On Saturday 09 August 2003 7:19 pm, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:46:56PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Nicholas Charles Wilberforce Fellows writes:
> >  > Im pretty convinced that divx / mpeg playback can be cajouled
> >  > out of the hardware, and indeed there are divx solutions available,
> >  > these require mod-chips, something that im not all together happy
> >  > about.
> >
> > What kind of processor does the PS2 have?
>
> It's MIPS based, with two vector processors.  I think.  :)

After some experimentation I have managed to get a stock build
to play divx files full screen at a good looking  framerate.
This was done using the sdl output plugin, and ffmp2 as the audio
codec plug in. For playback of files that have audio encoded as mp3
(requiring the ffmp3 plugin) I cant get anything near this.

just my 2 penneth.

Im going to investigate the possibilities of getting vidix or xv
working to see if this improvements. This could be tricky though as the
ps2 uses a strange modified X-server.

nick ...