[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp-g2 pre14

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 22 02:43:29 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:23:22AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Monday 21 April 2003 23:39, Arpi wrote:
> [...]
> > > images out of the end of the chain as they're needed. The vf api is
> > > already confusing enough for people trying to write filters without
> > > all this back-and-forth craziness...
> >
> > we have to decide if we want easy-to-understand APIs (see xine) or fast,
> > powerful, optimized-to-hell but a bit complex and tricky API.
> no, i think we dont have to :))))
> we could have a complex & powerfull API and on top of that a simple&slow one
> like
  .
  .
  .

EEEWWWW!! This api is disgusting; not only is it slow, but it's not
even graceful. Overall I'm ok with Arpi's design now, but I'm still
trying to figure out whether a few important special cases work out
right...

Actually, the main thing I noticed that I'm not sure works with Arpi's
model is multiple video stream sources. There are a few good reasons
to support multiple sources already (e.g. merging pictures from
stereoscopic cams), but this will be especially important in the long
term if the G2 codebase will be used as part of a production-quality
video editor.

Rich