[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp-g2 pre14

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Apr 21 23:39:44 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > Rich, is it ok to split?
>
> I just think this whole design is rather gross and artificial... It's
> like allowing filters to insert or remove frames is a hacked-in
> afterthought, rather than a natural consequence of a good design...

feel free to make a new design then...

> Instead of "pending images" I'd like to think in terms of pulling

you mean a better name? for example?

> images out of the end of the chain as they're needed. The vf api is
> already confusing enough for people trying to write filters without
> all this back-and-forth craziness...

we have to decide if we want easy-to-understand APIs (see xine) or fast,
powerful, optimized-to-hell but a bit complex and tricky API.

things would be simpler if we don't support codecs with opposite behaviour
(like win32 dlls vs. libavcodec: push vs. callback), many buffer types (from
export to out-of-order IPB), various colorspaces (see xine (or very old
mplayer): their codecs and vo drivers and filters must support both YV12 and
BGR24, and no negotiation and conversion by core at all, they have lame C
converters duplicated everywhere in their plugins) and so on.

anyway i don't think that writting a filter for mplayer is any harder than
writting a linux kernel module for example.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team