[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Real rtsp:// support

Roberto Togni r_togni at libero.it
Fri Apr 18 19:30:44 CEST 2003

On 2003.04.18 01:40 Ross Finlayson wrote:

>> What is the differense between your implementation and the
>> rtsp from http://www.live.com/mplayer ?
>> what happens if both are enabled?(extension?)
>
> I checked this just now, and things work OK.  Roberto's new code
> checks for "rtsp://" URLs that end with ".rm" (maybe it should also
> check for ".ra"?), and continues to run the regular RTSP code (using
.ra (old Realaudio format) is not supported at the moment (both streams
and files), just like the old codecs 14.4 and 28.8 they usually use. If
you have files with .ra extension but rm format, please tell me and
i'll add them. Anyway, i think .ra files are streamed with pnm:// urls.
Do you know any rtsp url that streams an ra file?

> the LIVE.COM libraries, if enabled) otherwise.

What kind of files can be received with live.com libraries? Is it
possible to stream .rm files with standard rtsp protocol? If yes, the
extension detection needs to be fixed.

I'd also like to remove the extension detection system, but i don't
like the idea of trying every protocol (Real, live.com, and maybe more
if other companies will implement their own variation of rtsp) until
one succedes. Is it possible to send a very simple query to a rtsp
server (i mean: open a port, send a string and  get a short, simply
parseable answer) to find out its manufacturer or other unique
identification?

> Thanks to Roberto for doing this.  I had been considering adding the
I just ported it to MPlayer, credits (and lawyers ;)) go to xine people.

> Real hack to the LIVE.COM libraries, but had held off on doing this
> for fear of being bitch-slapped by RealNetworks' lawyers :-)
> (Someday I might still end up doing this, but clearly that's less
> important now (at least as far as MPlayer is concerned).)
>
>         Ross.
Ciao,
  Roberto