[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFD] Something...

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Sun Apr 13 13:38:11 CEST 2003

Am Son, 2003-04-13 um 09.19 schrieb D Richard Felker III:

> Agreed. I just think glib optimizes for neither. Rather, glib
> optimizes for helping newbie programmers simplify their jobs at the
> expense of memory usage *and* performance for the user.

This is FUD. glib is helping developping a good application by code
reuse and well tested (i.e. bugfree) functions. Newbie programmers have
almost no clue about datastructures and thus will make wrong choices of
datatypes for their application which will seriously harm performance.

The implementation of any ADT for instance are the fastest known way to
implement these, if you claim you can do faster, step forward and help
improving those; however chances are higher that yours are slower and
more buggy.

> Not really -- very few (performance-intensive) programs use libc
> significantly anyway.

You just demonstrated that you have diddly squad idea of programming;
show me only one (performance-intensive) program that doesn't use libc
significantly. The only programs that match this criterion are those
exclusively implemented in ASM using syscalls to do I/O and those are
a minority. All others use libc for I/O, string manipulation,
networking, etc. Per definition there's no (sensible) program without
I/O.

> Well making it a shared object is ok as long as you don't use -fPIC.

Hardly possible to do this.

--
Servus,
       Daniel