[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFD] Something...

Dave Lambley mplayer-dev-eng at dlambley.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 01:30:53 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 23:42, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:29:40PM +0100, Dave Lambley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is this the kind of thing gstreamer is for? You may be could interface
> > the mplayer demuxers and codecs to it?
>
> And have it be slow as hell....

(Just taken look at gstreamer docs)

They make a big thing about performance, like letting codecs render
straight into shared memory and so on. They like cothreads too, which,
whatever they are, are good.

> Also there's the issue that many other projects have all sorts of
> automake junk, bloated dependencies, etc.... I honestly don't know
> where gstreamer stands on this stuff.

It probably uses automake, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to. It
uses glib2, but probably doesn't depend on gtk. Using something like
glib2 is probably better than hacking up your own method.

Cheers,
Dave