[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFD] Something...

Andriy Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Fri Apr 11 21:37:51 CEST 2003

    Hi, community!

    For last two or three months I got an idea. May be Arpi will laught
on me but I didn't see G2 project yet and that idea may be too alike of
G2... :)
    What I want? I want to have universal media manipulation project.
Player, or encoder, even video editor with any interface: commandline, or
text mode interface, or Gui, or remote, etc.
    What I wrote last time about the config parser and Gui was about that
idea. :)  How I see it?

                        +-----------+
                        |  Filters  |
                        +-----------+
                            | | | (2)
           +----+     +---------------+     +----+
Audio/  -->|    |---->|   Sequencer   |---->|    |
 video     |    |---->| & audio/video |---->|    |--> Output
sources -->|    |---->| syncronizator |---->|    |
           +----+ (1) +---------------+ (3) +----+
    Input modules             | (4)         Output modules
                        +-----------+
(1) - input API         |  Control  |
(2) - filters API       |  modules  |
(3) - output API        +-----------+
(4) - control API

    Each module may be statically or dynamically (via dlopen() syscall)
linked to the core. Core does only few functions:
1) registers/opens/closes modules;
2) [un]registers audio/video streams;
3) contains API for intermodule transactions (forward control from
  control module to all other);
4) creates audio/video threads (input->filters->output);
5) does audio/video sincronization.

    All other will do modules. All these have very limited API and due to
that is very flexible. :)  So we could have MPlayer, MEncoder and MEditor
from the same program by adding different modules. :)
    Arpi, do you want me to cooperate with you? :)  I think I have at
last to look at your G2 project, I'll do it after weekend.

    With the best wishes.
    Andriy.