[MPlayer-dev-eng] Matroska demuxer, C++ sources

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Apr 11 17:41:15 CEST 2003

Hi.

> Please instead write an independent demuxer in C.

Unfortunately not possible for me at the moment.

> The problem with C++ isn't just the ugliness. There are also lots of
> portability issues.

I know. As I wrote I test the code at least with two different gcc
versions, but I don't have access to other platforms than my x86 Linux
with gcc.

> My opinion would be no, but that's up to other people to decide.

You're one of the most active mplayer developpers, so your opinion does
matter a lot :)

> Matroska support is not even useful right now, so it's not worth
> littering the code with ugly hacks (C++).

I'm not really littering 'the code' - it's just one file
(libmpdemux/demux_mkv.cpp). The other files (demuxer.h: about two lines,
demuxer.c: about twenty lines which do not contain ANY C++ code) are not
touched.

Whether or not it is useful is another matter. I'd say it will be useful
really soon. I already have working Matroska files, I can create them,
and a first public release will be on or around May 1st.

If I can include that demuxer I don't have to maintain a separate patch
for it - it just makes my life easier. As soon as the C library is
complete I'll replace the C++ demuxer with a C demuxer, but at the
moment I don't have time to re-write that demuxer in C.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)