[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer G2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Apr 10 00:37:45 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:46:48PM +0200, Ivan Szanto wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:40:49AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > > i'll port some demuxers (probably asf and real will be the first, since they
> > > do work ok now and i have files with multiple streams for testing)
> > > i'll rewrite avi and mpeg demuxers, mostly from scratch. teh new avi demuxer
> > > will do runtime index building, and will support opendml.
> >
> > IMO the runtime index building should be a separate layer of the
> > demuxer code, so that it can work with ANY demuxer, not just AVI. I
> > don't see how it's at all AVI-specific.
> >
> > Rich
>
>  runtime index building and multiple streams support
>   sound really cool!
>
> I imagine this can then be used for the following multiple streams:
>
> 1. encoding video and sound from TV-card to an avi file
> 2. playing the same file in a window
>
>    - with seek support, because the index of the file is being built
>      runtime. The question is where this index will reside, because
>      afaict the index always goes to the end of the avi file, which
>      would imo not be handy in such a case. Maybe the index should
>      be kept in memory, so that the second stream can access it?

Of course it's in memory. A movie player would not modify the file
it's playing; that would be very bad!

> 3. maybe playing other parts of the same file in other windows,
>    but this I don't insist on (hab a tortan=topping on the cake)
>
> A'rpi, do you think this will be possible with G2? It would be
> really cool...

It's already possible for the most part. Run mencoder to capture the
file, and mplayer on the partial file being captured. With -idx you
can seek, but only up to the point that had been encoded when you
started mplayer. With runtime indexing, you could seek anywhere...

Rich