[MPlayer-dev-eng] matroska container sold to IBM

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Sat Apr 5 20:53:38 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 20:47, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > > Christian, I've thought you were a total asshole in the past, but
> > > selling out like this is the last straw. I don't see how you can claim
> > > it's beneficial to us for IBM to make Matroska proprietary, except
> > > perhaps that it will keep people from using the horrible format... :)
> > >
> > > I have no more interest in seeing oene behemoth dominate the market
> > > with a proprietary codec (IBM with WARP) than another (MS with WMV).
> > > In fact, I prefer WMV because it's already been reverse engineered,
> > > whereas getting support for this new IBM mess in free software is
> > > going to be another setback to us.
> > >
> > > Now, please take your proprietary crap off this list, and we'll get
> > > back to implementing formats that are superior technically and
> > > freedom-wise. Good riddance to you.
> >
> > it was an april fool's joke... it somehow didn't arrive here until
> > today, but you can check the date of that mail and see that it's 1st
> > april :)))))))))))))))))))
> >
> > btw. when i read it on xine-user back at 1st april i sent a mail to
> > christian hjw too, demanding to get an explanation why did he decide to
> > switch to closed source :)).... looks like i'll never learn :)
>
> Hahaha, setting your computer's date back to April 1 does not give you
> permission to send an April fool's joke on April 5! At least it's not
> as bad as the people who set their date to 2005 and mess up the mail
> archives...

i'm not trying to defend anyone but i THINK he sent it really on the
first of april.
why am i thinking that?

because when he sent it to xine-something, i saw in the mail-header that
he also sent it to a zillion of other mailing lists, including
MPLAYER-DEVEL!

so i prepared myself to read lots of cool flames on mplayer-devel, and
nothing :(...

it seems that the mail got stuck somewhere :)

gabor