[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: XviD B-Frame CBR and FQ encoding bugfix

Martin Drab drab at kepler.fjfi.cvut.cz
Wed Apr 2 21:27:30 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Balatoni Denes wrote:

> I might be stating the obvious, but users have such a low level control
> over libavcodec too afaict.
>

> > But anyway it would be nice if anything like direct codec arguments access
> > (in some simillar way as I described above) would be available (and not
> > only for XviD). Because then it gives you more freedom in experimenting
> > with the arguments.
> >
> > A typical example of what I mean is the "me_quality" XviD argument, which
> > is perhaps good when you don't know much about what those PMV_* things are
> > about, but it would also be nice to be able to select your own PMV_ flags
> > combination.
>
> bye
> Denes

That's right, then perhaps there should be no problem in doing so in XviD
as well. I guess that the old XviD interface was inspired by the Windows
interface for XviD (as seen for instance when you install say Koepi's XviD
- see <http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml> - with VirtualDub).
There they use just these types of simplifications and restrictions.

                                        Martin Drab