[MPlayer-dev-eng] checking for LIRC support

Holger Benl benl at websphere.de
Mon Sep 23 22:31:56 CEST 2002

MPlayer's configure script checks for a character device at /dev/lirc
first to
determine whether or not to include LIRC support.
On my system (gentoo), devfs is used, so the character device it's looking
for is actually called /dev/lirc/0 (however, I think this may be
different for
other lirc drivers), so the test fails. Of course I can still enable LIRC
support, and it works fine, still I think there is some room for
improvement.

The best solution, I think, would be to check for what MPlayer really
needs to compile lirc support: the lirc_client header file. And that's
what the configure script actually does, but only when it finds the
character device at /dev/lirc first. So: simply remove the check for
/dev/lirc
and everything should be fine.

Anyway: thanks for bringing us the best video player on earth, keep up
the good work.