[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer XMMS-embedded-qtopia plugin - crosspost from mplayer-users

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Sep 21 18:48:41 CEST 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 06:11:29PM +0200, Balatoni Denes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> $$$ This is a bad idea since you essentially lose most of the benefits of
> $$$ mplayer. Why not just run a linux- or bsd-based system on your palmtop
> $$$ and compile mplayer for it? Or just fix up mplayer so it compiles
> $$$ without requiring (much) posix stuff or make a simple support lib to
> $$$ emulate the posixish functionality it wants. This whole plugin talk is
> $$$ just silly, though -- it doesn't make porting any easier!
> I don't hava a palmtop, but this is for the sharp zaurus, which runs
> a full linux kernel with the usual libraries etc.
> The main reason for a plugin is mplayer gui is using gtk, but on the
> palmtop there is only libqt. It is possible to write a qt gui around

Huh? Then port GTK or else use the fbcon version of GTK which should
already work. This would be a lot more worthwhile than trying to make
a Qt gui for mplayer, and I can guarantee that a Qt gui will not get
accepted into CVS. :)

> mplayer, but then there will be two media players, and that is not the
> most comfortbale. So essentially I think I will write a simple gui that
> runs mplayer -slave, and make this gui a plugin in xmms. So then
> xmms can play movies and anything else - there is still two
> mediaplayers, but not noticable by the end-user.
>
> What benefits of mplayer would be lost this way ?

That should work, but it's nothing like your original proposal of
ripping out mplayer.c and trying to make mplayer into a plugin.
There's already been talk of plugins to control mplayer -slave from
xmms, but I dunno if anyone else is really making one yet. But if
mplayer already runs fine without gui everything else should be fairly
easy.

BTW, why not just use it without gui??

Rich