[MPlayer-dev-eng] QuickTime

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 18 21:31:48 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:23:15PM +0300, ktolis wrote:
> >Using the entire framework is silly; you might as well just use
> >Apple's junky player. There have already been efforts to load just the
> >needed stuff for Quicktime and call into it directly, but it's hard
> >work reverse engineering the interface. Read the archives for info:
> >
> i didn't mean the whole api just the calls required to decode the
> frames. so reading would be done in mplayer, the frame converted to a
> QT compatible format and the decoded data sent back to mplayer to be
> displayed through any available display module. I was talking only on
> the decoding mechanism but using the api and not by reverse
> engineering. Wouldn't it be easier?

If Apple provided this, yes, it would be much easier. However, they do
not, because they're proprietary scum. So if you want to use just the
codec without all their other mess, you have to reverse engineer the
libraries and find out how to make the calls to the codecs yourself.

> >Huh? You don't need quicktime or some proprietary Apple lib for DVD,
> >it's just mpeg2. MPlayer already has both libmpeg2 and libavcodec
> >which can decode mpeg2. If DVD support isn't working on OSX, it's a
> >matter of the DVD reading code not being ready, NOT a codec issue.
> It IS working under OSX it is just not *accelerated*. In specific it is
> not being able to use acceleration for the most important parts:
>
> libmpeg2: No accelerated IDCT transform found
> libmpeg2: No accelerated motion compensation found
>
> it would be a nice feature if libmpeg2 would support those things under
> OSX but even better if the altivec or hardware accelerated version of
> the mpeg2 lib supported by the os itself could be used.

Try -vc ffmpeg12. I think there are some altivec optimizations in
libavcodec, so it might be faster.

Rich