[MPlayer-dev-eng] QuickTime

ktolis ktolis at csd.auth.gr
Wed Sep 18 10:29:13 CEST 2002

umm...

hello

i was wondering if you are considering in adding QuickTime support in
MPlayer. Let me exaplain. In MacOSX you can use the Carbon framework to
utilize QuickTime to read the data from the .mov .mp4 .avi etc etc etc
files. At least under MacOSX this would allow on playback of Sorenson3
movies and other neat stuff like the ISO mpeg4 ISMA simple profile
(which doesn't seem to work correctly so far in MPlayer under MacOSX
with pre7). This would allow under MEncoder to convert Sorenson3 movies
and even to encode to Sorenson codec series format. I don't mean using
all of the framework, just the parts that you need to get a frame from
within the file the user requests (decoding, not displaying). I think
this would be a nice feature. I was thinking also if you could add
support on the native mpeg2 decoding library under MacOSX (or the
extension you may buy from Apple that does that under QuickTime) so
DVDs are playable with MPlayer.

thnx,
ktolis

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong list for this question
ktolis at csd.auth.gr
http://hal.csd.auth.gr/~ktolis