[MPlayer-dev-eng] URGENT ASSISTANCE

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 17 02:01:34 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:30:10AM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Monday 16 September 2002 22:23, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:07:58PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > i doubt it will happen, but if so, he will be banned imemdiately...
> >
> > What about klez and other source-forging virii?
> Everyone using vuln mailers and no mailscanner soft deservers to be banned!

Umm, I don't think you understand. If some idiot who's ever sent email
to you, or received email from you, runs one of these dumb viruses, it
randomly picks a fake source address to remail itself out as, and it
can *and will* sometimes pick your address. This you get banned for
having stupid friends (or non-friends who just happened to get your
email address somewhere, e.g. from subscribing to mplayer list).

BTW, that reminds me.... Could we have the mplayer lists strip out all
email addresses from the headers, and just put the list addresses,
like in the archives? That would prevent lamers from sending (or
cc'ing) replies to individuals rather than to the list, which gets
really annoying. It would also prevent email addresses from getting
picked up by spammers.

Rich