[MPlayer-dev-eng] ?[patch]? Bottom aligned subtitles

Oskar Liljeblad oskar at osk.mine.nu
Sat Sep 14 21:17:51 CEST 2002

On Saturday, September 14, 2002 at 10:09, Ji?í Svoboda wrote:
[..]
> > > Looks good, but wouldn't it be better with a boolean toggle
> > > for top/bottom alignment instead?
> >
> > Yes much better. Then you can control it interactively with the
> > existing subpos controls.
> >
> I mainly agree, but if You have both controls You can set area of
> screen where to put subtitles. I mean subtitles will be _never_ under
> sub_end_pos (usefull if TV crops image) and will prefereably start at
> sub_pos (if there is enough space between sub_pos and sub_end_pos
> otherwise will start above sub_pos just to end at sub_end_pos) - just
> bellow the movie.

What would happen if you set sub_end_pos to a value less than
sub_pos? And what if you set sub_end_pos to sub_pos+1? Would there
be any cropping done? Also, with sub_end_pos, you'd need new bindings
for subtitle movement up/down (besides R and T).

I think it's all just better to use a boolean value sub_align_top.
Changing this value would require the subs to be redrawn. It should
be false by default. (I bet 95% of the users use subtitles in the
bottom of the screen, and then bottom alignment is most natural.)

Or another approach: skip sub_align_top, use only sub_pos. If
sub_pos is below 50 (i.e. top half of screen), use top alignment,
otherwise bottom alignment. (Actually I outlined the code for this
in an earlier post.)

Oskar Liljeblad (oskar at osk.mine.nu)