[MPlayer-dev-eng] DivX5 & VBR encoding

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Sep 9 19:41:10 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > I already noticed it's constant q2, when I looked at the stats file, however
> > why are the fields kblocks, mblocky and ublocks always zero, are they unused
> > yet?
>
> The VBR code only uses total bytes and intra for the moment.  And
> furthemore, DivX5 does not report those values, so my code just uses
> zeros for those.

what about just dropping 2-pass support for divx4/divx5, and implement
2-pass for the xvid codec. xvid support is broken anyway, i remember someone
working on ve_xvid.c, but don't remember the finish.

imho teh divx4 people (divx.com) should provide 2-pass functionality in their
closedsourec lib, or change the license of their old 2-pass code to GPL.

imho we should support xvid, rather than divx4.
they seem to don't care about linux - the linux releases are buggy and comes
ages later than win releases, not talking about missing functionality like B
frames encoding.

btw, what's teh status of xvid now? is its development still stopped?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team