[MPlayer-dev-eng] DivX5 & VBR encoding

Kim Minh Kaplan kmkaplan at selfoffice.com
Mon Sep 9 03:08:50 CEST 2002

Felix Buenemann writes:

> on pass one it uses much higher bitrate (~1700kbps for me instead of
> ~900kbps), on pass two I don't really see a difference to divx5 one pass,
> high action scenes are still blocky.
> I tested with latest divx5linux lib.

Yes, pass one does constant quantizer (2) encoding, so you better
direct the file to /dev/null.  My personal feelings on quality is that
divx4_vbr is a bit better.  I am trying to figure out where this
feeling comes from...  It looks like xvid_vbr does worse thant
divx4_vbr on the beginning of the movie, especially when there are key
frames.  After some time it gets to par with divx4_vbr.  Did you have
time to test it on a real movie or just on short samples?  I think VBR
really works when you have loads of bits (= long running videos) to
work with.

> Does this patch disable divx4_vbr code or can it coexist until problems are
> solved?

Yes.  If vbrpass=1 or vbrpass=2 is omitted (i.e vbrpass=0) then the
traditionnal encoding is done.  And if it does not really work then
you can always #undef HAVE_XVID_VBR ;-)

Kim Minh.